World Bank Group
ExperienceMid Career / Advanced
The Senior Writer - Editor will write, edit and copyedit strategic communication material; including but not limited to blogs, stories of change, annual report, and donor communication material.
The Senior Writer - Editor will be responsible for keeping a strategic focus and ensuring quality, clarity, and coherence of all written materials produced by the GEI. The Senior Writer - Editor will play a key role in enhancing the effectiveness of our communication efforts and maintaining the organization's reputation for excellence in evaluation.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in strategic communication and a wide experience in crafting strategic messaging and writing compelling content to demonstrate impact and help fundraising, demonstrating a good understanding of the M&E sector and of international development work. They will work with the Communications and Knowledge Management Team.
Experience of working in multilingual and multichannel environments, leveraging the power and reach of digital platforms to deliver compelling creative content and engage target audiences is definitively a plus.
The Senior Writer - Editor will help reach and engage a diverse range of audiences and play a key role in maintaining and building a supportive environment for our work.
The Senior Writer - Editor will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Reviewing and editing reports, publications, and other written materials to ensure accuracy, coherence, and adherence to established style guidelines;
- Suggesting strategic messages to help position the GEI as a thought-leader on national M&E system strengthening and to support ongoing fundraising efforts;
- Crafting compelling narratives that resonate with diverse audiences and that convey strategic messages effectively across various platforms and channels;
- Developing and implementing storytelling strategies aligned with organizational goals, utilizing data-driven insights to tailor content for maximum impact and engagement;
- Providing constructive feedback and suggested revisions to authors and contributors to improve the clarity, structure, and overall quality of their work and align it with GEI strategic messaging, if necessary;
- Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams, including researchers, evaluators, and communications specialists, to ensure alignment of messaging and consistency of content;
- Developing and maintaining editorial standards, templates, and resources to support the production of high-quality materials;
- Managing the editorial process, including scheduling, prioritizing tasks, and tracking progress to meet deadlines;
- Conducting fact-checking, proofreading, and final quality assurance checks before publication;
- Staying informed about best practices in editing, evaluation, and related fields, and integrating new insights and approaches into our work;
- Defining and communicating throughout the GEI Comms Network standards and processes to support the implementation of platform, audience, and campaign-specific strategies;
- Working with WBG internal stakeholders (IEG, ECR and other relevant units in the WBG) to increase cross-promotion, collaboration, innovation, and audience engagement;
- Establishing and maintain effective working relationships and communication channels with external stakeholders, including UN and multilateral agencies (especially UNDP IEO), and GEI’s Implementing and Associate Partners;
- Engaging continuously with the rest of the communications team (digital comms specialist, design specialist, video editor) to deliver on time, quality products.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work in a team, innovate and take appropriate risks. You will be a strategic thinker, with strong day-to-day project management skills and a fine attention to detail.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in professional editing, preferably in an international organization environment;
- Excellent oral and written English knowledge. Knowledge of other UN languages is a plus;
- Experience in drafting high-level communication material to help position GEI;
- Proficiency with editing software and tools, such as Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, and style guides;
- Strong attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and consistency in written materials;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to provide clear and constructive feedback to authors and colleagues;
- A collaborative and adaptable mindset, with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, multicultural environment;
- Familiarity with M&E lexicon and concepts is desirable but not required.
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., English, journalism, communications) is required; a Master's degree is preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a detailed resume, cover letter, and writing sample(s)
demonstrating editing skills to Ms. Patrizia Cocca (email@example.com) by February 23,
2024. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.